Bobby sunscreen? Here's why and what to do...
As you are probably aware Shade™ and RoKai™ contain a high percentage of shea butter (36%). Shea butter is made up of many fatty acids, which each melt and solidify at their own pace. Unfortunately when manufacturing it is not always possible to quickly cool the batches in the same way as could be achieved when making the formula in small batches by hand, and when packed and then stacked, the cooling process can take a while, increasing the risk of the shea forming 'grains'. This is an interesting article which explains this phenomenon in more depth.
If this has happened to your Shade™ (or RoKai™), don't despair! It's easy to remedy using the following quick trick:
- Put a plate over a pan of simmering water on your stove.
- Place your open tin of Shade™ on the plate and leave to warm.
- After a few minutes, use a kebab stick or chopstick to gently start stirring the sunscreen.
- Keep stirring gently (you don't want to knock it off the plate or spill it over the side like clever clogs here!) until it's all melted and beautifully smooth again.
- Don't leave unattended or it could get too hot and the wax will separate from the rest of the formula.
- Turn off the heat and remove the whole plate from the pan.
- Leave to one side to cool.
- Replace the lid.
- Ta da! Your Shade™ is good as new!! 😎
- Pop it in the fridge to speed up the cooling but don't leave it there for too long or it will go rock hard!!
This can be repeated as many times as necessary and as Shade™ is a mineral sunscreen this won't affect its efficacy but will make it nice and easy to apply again!
Shade™ is a mineral based broad spectrum sunscreen for every body - even those of you who are unable to use any other sunscreens.
There are no toxic chemicals, no unnecessary fragrances, no liquid polymers or microplastics that could damage your health or the environment!
Carefully selected ingredients
We use our favourite sustainable Coconoil™ unrefined virgin organic Coconut Oil which is also Soil Association certified.
Widely acknowledged as offering the safest, broadest-spectrum sun protection possible, we have used a pharmaceutical grade uncoated, non-Nano Zinc Oxide, which also has a cooling, slightly astringent, antiseptic, antibacterial and protective action on the skin, making Shade™ a perfect aftersun also.
We use a pure, sustainably-sourced unrefined beeswax which is completely non-toxic, locks in moisture, has excellent water-repellant properties and naturally nourishes the skin. In cosmetics, beeswax is an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-allergenic and a germicidal antioxidant making it a perfect sunscreen ingredient.
You can also find us at...
Frequently asked questions
1. Who is Shade suitable for?
2. How should I apply Shade?
3. What constitutes 'Apply Generously'?
4. How does Sun Protection Factor (SPF) actually work?
5. Does ShadeTM protect against UVA as well as UVB?
6. Does Shade leave a white cast on the skin?
7. Why do you only make an SPF25?
8. How can I trust that it's a really effective sunscreen?
9. What tests has Shade undergone?
10. Is Shade water resistant?
11. Is Shade tested on animals?
12. So what's so bad about commercial, chemical-based, sunscreens?
13. Is Shade reef safe/marine friendly?
14. What is Shade’s shelf life?
15. Why is it packed in a tin and not a bottle or a tube like other sunscreens?
Enoy the sunshine
- Regular price
- €3,95 EUR
- Regular price
- Sale price
- €3,95 EUR
- Unit price
Unrefined Organic Shea Butter*, Virgin Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil*, Non-Nano Zinc Oxide (18%), 100% Pure Unrefined Natural Beeswax
*Certified Soil Association Organic Ingredients
Store above 18 degrees centigrade to keep soft. High wax and oil content will otherwise make the product harder to apply if stored in colder temperatures.
Apply generously. Works immediately. Reapply regularly at least every 2 - 3 hours or after exposure to water or after sweating.